Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Achooo.....

Hello everyone,

Well it's that time of the year again... The wind is blowing, temperatures are dropping, and that annoying little bug is floating around more than ever.  Yes I am talking about the cold bug.  Now normally I would post about some sort of exercise or sport but because it is winter and because I am sick as well, I think that I will dedicate this blog on how to avoid the common cold and how to treat yourself if you catch it.


Picture of a Rhinovirus (Common Cold) in Microscopic Form

The common cold is not a bacterial infection.  It is a viral infection that can really only be treated with time.  Symptoms can include coughing, sore throat, runny nose, and congested nose.  The best way to not catch a cold is to stay away from people or places that have been infected.  Also washing your hands with soap (regular or anti-bacterial does not matter since it is a virus) is also recommended.  The most common thing that you should do (especially now that it is winter) is to dress warmly.


Areas Infected by a Common Cold

If however you could not have prevented catching the cold and feel horrible (like I currently do), there are ways to make yourself feel more comfortable for the duration of your sickness such as sleeping a lot, drinking a lot of water, and gargling salt water.  You can use vapor rub on your chest to relieve coughing and congestion.  To help my sore throat, I like to drink warm tea with honey in it.  It relaxes my throat and it makes me feel better overall.  Warm tea will also help keep you warm throughout the winter. 



A lot of other helpful home remedies can also be found using the internet.  Here are just a few I found that might be useful: here and here.  It is times like these that I am glad new media is around. Hope this has been helpful!

Willy

5 comments:

  1. Hi Willy,

    First of all, *Bless you!* and I hope you are recovering from your cold.

    Your blog is very interesting and useful especially to a person who would like to know how to get fit without getting bored. (Like me!) I appreciate how you have recommendations and tips to help ease into each type of exercise to avoid getting hurt. You have convinced me to try kayaking soon and try snowboarding the next time my friends go.

    Overall, the way you write is very helpful and clear.

    Keep up the good work,
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered why dressing warmly helps prevent catching a cold. If the cold is purely viral then how will a sweater protect me?

    I enjoy your posts especially since I am trying to get back to a regular workout schedule; I find them informative and encouraging.

    I just wanted to raise the question to all the moms that told us to "dress warmly or we may catch cold:" Why?

    It's something to think about I suppose. Or something to research if indeed there is a direct correlation to having a low body temperature and catching a cold.

    Agreed with Elma, keep it up!
    ~Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know more about cold bug after read your post. There are a detail informations and reasons why do we get cold. You also list all the symptoms of getting cold. you also provide a lot of helpful tips for us to follow after we get cold.
    Take care and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alan: The reason we're more susceptible to colds in cold weather is because cold air tends to be dryer, which thins the mucous membranes in the sinuses. This mucous barrier is what prevents viruses from entering the bloodstream. The thinner it is, the less protective it is. Warming yourself up can thicken the membrane.

    @Willy: Edward said that we should make arguments on our blogs -- how could you turn this into an argument? One of my pet peeves is sick people coming to school, where they sneeze on me and get me sick. Your argument could be in favor of sick people coming to school, or why we shouldn't bother living in cold places, or ... ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Alan: I'm glad you brought this up because I thought the same thing when I read that question. When I was studying abroad in Italy, my host mom yelled at me if I came out of the bathroom without drying my hair after showering, because I was going to get sick...

    @Willy: Awesome blog. The only suggestion I have for this post is perhaps you can connect it a bit more to exercise. I know that exercise can prevent colds, or maybe give a suggestion about proper gym hygiene.
    I found this article on Web MD that says aerobic exercise builds up your immune system. http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/11-tips-prevent-cold-flu

    ReplyDelete