Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bench Warmers

Hello everyone,

Instead of blogging about a certain sport, today I will be blogging about one of my weight lifting routines.  I perform this routine every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and I focus on using only the "bench and barbell" exercises.  The four exercise I use in this routine are the flat barbell bench press, incline barbell bench press, decline barbell bench press, and seated military barbell press.  There is no real order that these exercises need to be done in but just remember that you will be able to lift more with the exercises that you start with.  People do tend to get tired around the fourth exercise.  In this routine, you will be doing three sets of eight repetitions each.  This means that in one set you will lift the weight up and down eight times.  You will also be increasing the weight by 5 to 10 pounds every set.  I have included some videos below that show you how to bench properly.



Flat barbell bench press








 
Incline barbell bench press










Decline barbell bench press








Seated military barbell bench press









The main muscle groups that this routine focuses on are the chest (pectorals), shoulder (deltoids), and arms (mainly the triceps).  The forearm muscles and the latissimus dorsi (lower side back) are also used in these exercises but mainly for support and balance.



I recommend you start with a weight that is fairly easy to do and build up from there.  Do not start with your maximum weight since you will not be able to increase the weights any more.  It is also safer if you find out what range your strength is before attempting really heavy weights.  Doing light weights and gradually going up is better than injuring yourself and not being able to lift at all.  Also always remember to have someone spot you and make sure you do not drop the weight on yourself, especially since you are adding more weight every time.  Hope this has been helpful and remember safety first when lifting!

Willy

No comments:

Post a Comment